Monday, August 02, 2004

Return to Sender, Address Unknown

Boy, do I ever wish I could access this "stream" of the NPR show Afropop Worldwide with the tantalizing theme "Brasilíssimo!"

Interviews, audio clips, and show segments from or about Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil, João Gilberto, Tom Ze, the history of samba, Carmen Miranda, Marisa Monte, Naçao Zumbi, and so much more. Absolute gold.

Too bad the site obliges you to register before you can listen, but then won't accept your registration. (Through two different browsers, I've gotten the messsage "enter valid e-mail address" even though I've done that--even entered three different, equally valid addresses.) Moreover, two thirds of the "registration" process is a thinly disguised attempt to collect marketing info about you and your precious NPR demographic. The site looks great, and I'm an occasional listener to/fan of the show itself (or at least I just enjoy pronouncing host Georges Collinet's name the way he does).

My sweetie tells me I might have better luck if I tried registering from a PC instead of a Mac. If that ain't adding insult to injury, I don't know what is.

No comments: