Saturday, June 12, 2004

And words are all I have ...

Thanks to my pal Richard Wicka for tipping me off to the phenomenon of MP3blogs, which evidently started here. Just now I was listening to Stephen "Tin Tin" Duffy sing "Kiss Me (With Your Mouth)," a staple of college radio in the 80s, while reading the blogmeister's thoughts on the song and comments from six readers. Lordy, a new web-craze is born every two minutes, I swear. (I suppose this means mash-ups are So Two Years Ago by now, right? The only thing that saddens me about these quick flareups of creativity is how quickly they get discarded, thus replicating the idea of planned obsolence from consumer culture.)

I don't think I want to go the MP3 route myself at the moment. I enjoy the challenge of trying to convey the sound, or more importantly the appeal, of music with words alone. (God knows how many albums I've picked up thanks to a review by a writer whose taste I trust.) But it is nice to be able to let people know what a given song sounds like, particularly since much of what I intend to write about here is pretty obscure. And something tells me I'll be checking out "FluxBlog" and its many successors quite a bit in the months to come, at least before they're all superseded by some even newer innovation.

No comments: